ABBEY OF FOSSANOVA
A GOTHIC PEARL SET IN TIME
Fossanova Abbey is located in the municipality of Priverno on the border with the municipality of Sonnino.
The inhabited site all around has the appearance of vicus and takes its name from a sewer which in the early days of the small village was called Fossa Nova.
The abbey, daughter of the abbey of Altacomba and whose construction lasted from 1163 to 1208, is a perfect example of the first Italian Gothic style.
Built on the ruins of a Roman villa of the Republican age, it was first a Benedictine monastery and later, at the behest of Pope Innocent II, it was granted to the Cistercians who built it in its present form.
The main site consists of the Church, dedicated to St. Mary, with the Cloister on which the Refectory, the Chapter Hall, the Monks' Infirmary and the Abbot's House rotate.
In the infirmary there is the room where St. Thomas Aquinas lived, prayed and meditated in the last days of his life and where he died in 1274; still today the simple empty tomb is preserved in the church (the body was transferred by the Dominicans to Toulouse at the end of the 14th century) made up of a rectangular marble or travertine slab.
Immediately outside the main nucleus there are the Infirmary of the conversi (today a room for cultural activities), the Guest House (seat of the Medieval Museum), the remains of what was once the hospice for pilgrims, the Grangia and the Stables.
Via San Tommaso d’Aquino, 1
04015 Fossanova (LT)
orario solare: 8:00–18:30
orario legale: 8:00–19:00