gardens of ninfa

Scents of nature, silence and beauty in one place

The name Ninfa derives from a Roman temple, dedicated to the Naiad Nymphs, divinity of spring waters, located in the current garden. In the fourteenth century, the city of Ninfa was destroyed and several representatives of the Caetani family present in the Pontine and Lepine area from the sixteenth century, for many centuries decided to create a garden with fine botanical varieties, water pools and fountains. However, only in the nineteenth century Ada Bootle Wilbraham, wife of Onoraro Caetani and his children, built a real Anglo-Saxon style garden, reclaiming the marshes, planting cypresses, holm oaks, beeches, and restoring some ruins, including the baronial palace. The care of the garden was continued by the descendants of the Caetani family, until the last heir, Lelia, who added several botanical species and established the Roffredo Caetani Foundation which still takes care of the protection of the garden of Ninfa and the castle of Sermoneta .

In the eight hectares of garden there are 1300 botanical species. Nineteen varieties of deciduous magnolia, birch trees, aquatic irises and various Japanese maples can be admired. Ornamental cherry trees that bloom in spring, apple trees and the tulip tree are also spectacular. There are many varieties of roses that climb trees and ruins, along the river and streams, making this place particularly romantic. Also worth seeing are tropical plants such as avocado, South American gunnera manicata and banana trees.

 

The Ninfa river rises near the city and flows for 30 km towards the Pontine plain, forming the homonymous lake in whose waters there is a particular species of trout, imported thousands of years ago from Africa by the Romans. An oasis of around 1800 hectares was established around the nucleus of Ninfa in 1976 to protect the fauna of the place which includes 152 bird species, including some birds of prey such as the Peregrine Falcon and Barn Owl and several species of waders such as the Gray Heron .

information

The beautiful Garden of Ninfa can only be visited from April to October every first Saturday and Sunday of the month, the third Sunday of April, May and June and the first Sunday of November. Access to the garden of Ninfa is regulated by strict rules to preserve the beauty of the place.

 

The visit is only possible in a group and with the guide and it is not possible to linger in the garden at the end of the tour which lasts about an hour. At the entrance there is an individual contribution of 10 euros. Ninfa can also be visited by schools and organized groups.

Roffredo Caetani Foundation of Sermoneta Onlus
Via Appia km 66,400
Location Tor Tre Ponti, Latina (LT)
Tel. (+39) 0773 63 22 31
info@frcaetani.it

how to arrive

The Garden of Ninfa is located in the province of Latina, between the municipalities of Norma and Sermoneta. The area is not served by public transport and can only be reached by your own means even if you can get to the surroundings by train and use a taxi service from the station (very close) to the garden.